Sunday, February 6, 2011

India- Thoughts and Experiences

Yes indeed, India is amazing!
Amazingly colorful, beautiful, noisy and dirty. After I´ve been here now for almost a month, the thing that strikes me most is the experience of contrast. You read about this in books, so one is somewhat prepared but still, to experience it is altogether different. One contrast that strikes me again and again is the one between country and city. Travelling through the country-side, the landscape is of a breath-taking beauty. It is so beautiful, that it brings tears to my eyes. As soon as you get close to a city though the beauty abruptly ends and what you see is garbage and dirt. Passing by a river makes you feel sick because of the smell. In the midst of all the garbage there are animals: Cows, pigs, dogs, cats... The way Indian women dress is another experience of colour and beauty but the houses, shops and even restaurants are in a sad state, often with little sense for an outward attractivity. More contrasts are to be found in the technical realm. Up-to-date mobile phones and internet next to someone who irons clothes by using an ancient iron which is filled with hot coals. And I simply can not get used to the sudden appearance of cows in the middle of traffic or in front of a shop, or somewhere you simply would not expect them to be. The greatest experience are the people I´ve met! Even complete strangers have been so incredibly open, helpful, and of an overwhelming hospitality... amazing India! I´m thankful for the time I´ve had here so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment